Single mothers (by choice or by circumstances), often see their economic situation aggravated, being fundamental to a Framework of Protective Action of Social Security, which protects these families. Get to know how to get hardship grants for single mothers for free from the government.
Generally speaking, the duration of the permission lower motherhood is 16 weeks uninterrupted, expandable for childbirth, adoption or multiple foster care.
The most common benefit, for which the income limit will not be taken into account, is 1,200 euros for each child, which can be received in a monthly fee of 100 euros for each child .
It is also a deduction compatible with other aids, it is requested through form 140 of the Tax Agency.
Especially for mothers who do not receive alimony, you can go to the Food Payment Guarantee Fund , advancing the collection of unpaid alimony to minors and elderly with disabilities, who have been claimed in court.
The duration of the benefit is granted for a maximum period of 18 months, with a limit of 100 euros per month.
From the autonomous area, we find aids such as the rental subsidy of up to 40% in the Community of Madrid, or in Asturias the deduction on the regional fee of 300 euros, for non-high incomes.
And in certain municipalities, single-parent families get extra points for applying for daycare.
As for single mothers, we cannot affirm that they receive specific aid, but rather bonuses or deductions, and even so, they are of a general nature.
Single-parent families, single mothers, are a growing group, however, the journey to support those brave and single mothers who raise their children is yet to come.
One of the scholarship programs that exist to combine the work of mother with studies is the aid of the Granada City Council that, each year, allocates a significant financial amount to promote the training of young student mothers.
This year, the ‘Scholarships for Young Mothers’ program has an endowment of 64,000 euros and its objective is to improve the employability conditions of student mothers and contribute to making the reconciliation of work, personal and family life a reality.
Granada City Council allocates some 64,000 euros to promote the training of young student mothers. In the 2020 edition, 49 grants of 650 euros will be awarded to each beneficiary. The average profile of the applicants is 26.9 years old, although the youngest applicant’s mother is 20 years old.
Regarding the aid granted by the State, the old Prepara Plan was replaced in 2018 by the Extraordinary Unemployment Subsidy (SED) and it is basically an economic aid for long-term unemployed in which it also includes mothers who are unemployed.
Specifically, mothers who request it can benefit from up to 431 euros per month for six months. In order to receive this subsidy, it is necessary to have children under 26 years of age and not have a monthly income of more than 75% of the Minimum Interprofessional Salary.
Maternity benefits and deduction
But aid to mothers with children is not limited to scholarships to study. And it is that, from the fiscal point of view, all mothers who reside in Spain and who have children under three years of age can apply the deduction for maternity in the income.
This aid amounts to 12,000 euros per year that can be applied when making the rent or charged in advance at a rate of 100 euros per month. Personal income tax also provides other benefits for being a mother, whether the woman is married or single.
Also mothers of large families are entitled to a special benefit if their income does not exceed Interprofessional Minimum Wage (SMI) each year, which in 2020 is 13,300 euros per year.
And in the case of multiple birth or adoption, mothers are also entitled to a special allowance for multiple birth or adoption. This multiple birth assistance is awarded in a lump sum and is given to all families regardless of income.
If you have two children of the same birth or adoption, the minimum interprofessional wage is multiplied by four (3,600 euros), and if you have three children, the minimum interprofessional wage is multiplied by eight (7,200 euros).
And in the event that the mother has a large or single-parent family and has to hire a caregiver to take care of her children while she is working, she is entitled to the 45% discount in the Social Security contributions of the caregiver for hiring.
Being a mother and single is a growing family model in Spain. Some 132,000 women face motherhood alone in our country, a figure that is four times that registered just ten years ago. The lack of distribution of family tasks and the lack of specific help for them are two of the problems these women face. This article details the support and resources available to single mothers and lists some of the main associations and support groups for single mothers .
Single mothers: associations and support groups
One avenue of support for single mothers is to share their experience with other women in the same situation. Currently, different associations, groups and organizations offer single mothers this possibility:
- The Federation of Associations of Single Mothers , made up of different associations of single parents, provides support through social intervention programs. On its website you can access interesting documentation and studies related to single mothers and it has a participatory section .
- The Isadora Duncan Single Parent Family Foundation was created in 1984 by a group of single mothers from León to assert their rights. Among other aid programs, it manages a network of sheltered flats for single mothers . The foundation has a YouTube channel where news and information of interest to this group are discussed.
- The Association of Single Mothers by Choice began in 2007 with the aim of supporting single mothers who choose this route. The association carries out different informative and informative activities for the members and programs family leisure activities , so that mothers and children share their experiences. The mothers of this association have, among other advantages, economic discounts on the services of some companies and organizations.
- The Single Mothers by Choice Forum is made up of more than 600 members who share their doubts and experiences about single motherhood online.
- Help for the birth of a child. 1,000 euros are awarded to single mothers or for multiple adoption, a payment that is free of personal income tax and that can only be obtained if the income is less than 11,547.96 euros.
- Maternity deduction . Mothers of children under three years of age who are employed or self-employed and contribute to social security or a mutual benefit may benefit from it. The deduction can be carried out in two ways: by means of a tax deduction in the income statement or by means of a monthly deposit in the bank account. In both cases, the maximum amount will be 1,200 euros per year for each child.
- Family benefit for dependent children . Financial aid will depend on the number of children and the monthly income entering the household. In the case of a foster child or minor under 18 years of age without disabilities, the amount will be 291 euros per year, when the woman’s income does not exceed 11,547.96 euros per year.
Likewise, each autonomous community makes available to its citizens certain aid for maternity or disadvantaged families that may also be interesting. Ask at the Department of Social Welfare in your region.
In any case, the few studies carried out in this regard show that the greatest source of support, both economic and social, comes largely from family members. And that the Public Administration still has a long way to go in this area.
For more information you can follow us on our Pinterest ,
You can also follow us on Reddit.